Monday, February 21, 2011

Kouragio by Jeno November 7, 2010 at 6:04pm

Kouragio


There she was sitting on the side of the road, talking nonsense with a red face and dry heaving. She tried to stand up but almost passed out. Should I call the medics over or flag someone down? This was not the race I trained for. My time goal, that I was told many times over not to have, was long gone. I really thought it was my destiny to get that time. It was an arbitrary number I chose because it’s my birthday, 5:24. It also turned out to be my bib number, 13524. It was ambitious for my first marathon but I felt it was doable. I had trained well and worked out many kinks before the big day.
Here I was in a foreign country because I thought it would be cool to do my first marathon where the very first one took place in 490 BC. If I finished I would be running towards the finish line in the famous Panathenaic stadium where the first modern Olympics took place in 1896. I would be a part of history. It would be epic!!! The race started out like many other races I had been in before but I had never attempted that distance until this day. We met as a group by the yellow flag and the plan was to start at the back after the 7th wave. This was a very crowded event because it was the 2500th anniversary of the original marathon. We started the journey from marathon to Athens in the run/walk fashion I had trained. Many local people lined the course handing the runners olive branches and saying “Bravo!”
Quite a few were smokers. The smell of tobacco mixed with olive trees and jasmine filled the air. I felt great!!! I was a running goddess, or at least that is what I told myself. Sometimes these preplanned messages are helpful when I start doubting myself or the shadows emerge and try to get me to give up. My new running partner started to get tired and I could almost hear her shadows telling her to drop out. She did say a few times, “you can go ahead of me, I feel like I’m holding you back.” I started saying “stay with me here.” I looked at her and she seemed to be getting into worse shape. Her face was red and I thought she was overdressed for the race. I’m not as teachable as some but I do listen to people’s advice, particularly the things I hear more than once. Not to overdress was one of them. I had a hydration pack on. Someone told me to be self-supporting for a race in another country because you never know if the aid stations will be equipped with what you need. Another valuable piece of advice it turns out. We got close to the halfway point and I was about 30 min behind my goal and we were not keeping up with my 1:1 run walk plan at all. She looked at me and said to go ahead but something told me to stay with her. Just before the halfway mark she dry heaved a little, said a few things that did not make sense and sat down. She tried to get up and almost fainted. It was hot and there was virtually no shade’s cover almost the entire course. The course was really just 20 miles uphill and 6 down. I started to feel invested in her success. I’m not typically a selfless person but I really wanted her to finish. After previously resisting I convinced her to take an enduralyte pill. She was just taking in water and sweating a lot. I asked her what her nutrition plan was and got a long pause. Maybe she had one but she had some candy and water and that was it. She took the pill and then I very bossily told her to sip water like an IV drip and not to guzzle it. We got up and started walking. I told her to keep moving forward, just like many of my more experienced running friends told me. I’m thinking in my head that I’m way off from my goal and that it will no longer be possible. I was also thinking that the gal I helped could still drop out and that would be her prerogative. My stopping to help her and kissing my goal goodbye may have been futile. She said it again;” If you want to go ahead do it.” I have said that same thing to many people many times. I always want others to get what they want out of a run or race. As much as I don’t want to take away from anyone else’s joy, I really enjoy running with others. Not the usual show up and get left in the dust kind of running with others, but the kind of running where you hear your footsteps synch up and you get in to a rhythm that feels transcendent. Maybe that’s why I needed to stay; her words had been mine before. I wanted her to move past that and into another space. I have never been a runner. In gym class I could not make it around the field once without stopping. I just resigned to the idea that I’m not athletic but I secretly dreamed of running. I dreamed about it a lot. I have bought shoes, jogging stroller, gym memberships etc. I never stuck with it. I had difficulty breathing almost every time I tried to do something active. Signing up and training for races was the first time I have felt driven to train consistently. Part of my passion for running comes from convincing others to give running a shot. It fuels my soul. This is because I have discovered that I AM a runner and I want others to realize that if they want to run, it IS possible.
We moved on another 5 – 10 kilometers and my friend was coming back to life. We met another gal who was walking the entire race and said she was right on target for her goal. She said if I wanted to go ahead I she would stay with Deborah. I decided this time to go for it now that I knew she was with someone else and going to be OK. I was really feeling great even though I knew my time goal was hopeless at this point. I got back into a rhythm. I caught up with a guy that was limping and he said he had a disability. I think it was some kind of palsy, something that happened at birth and he said he was thinking of dropping out but we were only about 5 miles out at this point. I felt compelled to convince him to keep going too. I was about 4 miles out from the finish line and I saw a little old lady dressed up in her church clothes holding her purse crossing the street right by me and she uttered something to me in Greek I did not understand. As moved past her I looked back and said “ English?” and she responded “ Courage!” my eyes started to tear up. Soon I saw the glass runner. This was a glass sculpture that marks the final Kilometer to the finish. It was inspired by a rock formation in the mountains. I made my way down the small street and into the stadium. I broke out into a full run but had to pull back a little right before the finish line in order not to throw up. It was such a great feeling but all the best things about it are what got me to that place. When I look back at this race, a race that took me a long 7 hours to complete, I will know that I helped a fellow runner. I will not have the memory of leaving someone by the roadside sick. I drove myself crazy for a while after the race. Could I have met my time goal? I will never know. This is what I do know: My relationship with running is still intact. Perhaps the running gods and goddesses will bless me. I had no idea if the girl I helped finished or not. I was not proud of my time. I did not want to go back home and tell the people in either of my running clubs my time. I imagined people would think I really messed up my opportunity to achieve something great. Tuesday morning I saw her again and she jumped up and said,” This is the girl…this is the girl!!!! I asked her how it went and she said, “ I finished!!!!” To that I have one word to add, “Kouragio!”






Me and Pav
My favorite
Glass runner inspired by rock formation
· · Share · Delete
    • Maryann Ramirez
      You are an amazing person, Jennifer... Kudos to you for helping that young woman complete the marathon!

      and you know what I think is funny in a strange sort of way... that Deborah that you met on the course... was she a dark haired short wom...an? wouldn't that be funny if she is the same Deborah that I will be meeting up with at Bataan next March?See More
      November 7, 2010 at 6:20pm · · 1 personLoading...
    • Jennifer Johnson Cline I don't know her last name but her picture is linked to this note.
      November 7, 2010 at 6:31pm ·
    • Joan Heller Your story is absolutely one of courage and achievement. Your time is one greater than a number but of a great human heart. You inspire others by the choice you made.
      November 7, 2010 at 6:39pm · · 1 personLoading...
    • Jennifer Johnson Cline Thanks!
      November 7, 2010 at 6:40pm ·
    • Andrew Harding
      Hi Jenn...You ARE a RUNNER. You have dramatically proved that if indeed proof was ever needed. Training and toeing the line at a Marathon is no mean feat. Tremendous race report. For your 1st Marathon you have given and learnt a lot that ot...hers, including many runners, will never experience. To put yourself out for another like this is Courage. In a literal sense she will never forget you, It was a defining moment when you chose to put her 1st. The ancient Greeks saught immortality through engaging in an heroic activity such that their name would live on. Achilles in Troy. King Leonidas of Sparta at Thermopylae. I am sure that this will be the case here. Long after the aches and pains have healed she will remember you and tell of what you did for her; to her family and friends. All the best in your next adventure.See More
      November 7, 2010 at 6:48pm · · 1 personLoading...
    • Marathon Maine-iac Awesome job!! You had QUITE the experience in you FIRST marathon!! but you are NOW a marathoner, AND a GOOD Samaritan, too boot!! You did the RIGHT thing!! well done.
      November 7, 2010 at 7:06pm ·
    • Jennifer Johnson Cline Thanks, but i cant wait to beat that time into the ground, lol!!!!
      November 7, 2010 at 7:07pm · · 1 personLoading...
    • Maria Walton Jennifer, I am touched by your amazing example of selfless sacrifice, and reaching out with compassion for a fellow athlete. She was blessed by your strngth. And, you were enlightened by beauty. You ARE a runner, a loving Mom, and cherished friend to many. Enjoy a well deserved celebration!
      November 7, 2010 at 7:11pm · · 1 personLoading...
    • Marathon Maine-iac JJC, oh, and you WILL!!!
      November 7, 2010 at 7:17pm · · 1 personLoading...
    • Jennifer Johnson Cline Im thinking next month!!! When you take 7 hours to complete a marathon you recover very quickly
      November 7, 2010 at 7:18pm · · 1 personLoading...
    • Micah True nice!
      November 7, 2010 at 7:26pm · · 1 personLoading...
    • Jennifer Johnson Cline Thanks! Didn't you say something to me about courage once too?
      November 7, 2010 at 7:28pm ·
    • Roberta Shaver
      I'm not gonna lie... I thought u were crazy when u suggested we run a half marathon! I thought u were crazy when you said let's do the Leadville heavy half marathon and I thought you were crazy for the method you were using when I met you. ...But I liked how you put in prospective that
      You beat everyone who stayed home on the couch. Then to travel to a foreign country and do a marathon and stick it out not only helping someone else but to spend that time and distance! When I feel defeated Jennifer. I often think of you and your courage to dare do the unthinkable when people think you may be a little unorthodox. But I realize this is what I love about you... u are a RUNNER! You are an amazing human being and I am proud to call you my friend! You have made a huge impact on my life and along the way you have made me laugh and encouraged me to do things I didn't think were possible. I no longer think you are crazy like cuckoo crazy, but crazy in that way everyone should be passionate, courageous, fun & outthere!!!
      See More
      November 7, 2010 at 7:39pm · · 3 peopleLoading...
    • Jennifer Johnson Cline Thanks Roberta! this made me cry :)
      November 7, 2010 at 7:49pm ·
    • Roberta Shaver Awww now u got me tearing up... Love u Jennifer
      November 7, 2010 at 7:58pm ·
    • Laura Arbury You are a beautiful human being, Jennifer...inside and out!!
      November 7, 2010 at 8:10pm ·
    • Aimee Clark Henderson I loved reading this .... you are awesome !!!
      November 7, 2010 at 8:20pm ·
    • Ilene Carpenter Awesome story, well done! I'm so glad you both finished. Congratulations!!!
      November 7, 2010 at 9:06pm ·
    • Kelli Gould
      I'm glad that you're no longer second-guessing your courageous and completely correct decision to help another human being. The story that you just told is worth more than all the 5:24's combined! Running a marathon in record time doesn't... impress people as much as selfless acts of kindness. ESPECIALLY those which require us to give up something that we want for ourselves. You will have plenty of opportunities to get your 5:24. You asked on your FB page what mantra we used when running to keep us going. I didn't answer but for the past 6 months, since I've been following your training for this marathon, my mantra has been, "if Jennifer can train for a marathon, certainly I can go another mile!" Thanks to you, I've been running longer than I ever have so...Thank You! You are truly an inspiration!See More
      November 7, 2010 at 11:13pm ·
    • John Finklea
      To see just how it happened in black and white makes it real and gives it all purpose. The ability to be of service is what it is all about. And in being of service to others , we are offered a brief glimpse of what and who the person that ...the powers that be would like us to be.
      I want to be just like you when I grow up!!!!
      See More
      November 8, 2010 at 1:54am ·
    • Jennifer Johnson Cline Thanks!
      November 8, 2010 at 2:20am ·
    • Jennifer Johnson Cline John, I forgot to say how you set the positive tone for the day. You just saw the best in everything around you. I admire you for that. I was so glad I met you!!!! You are right !!! I was rewarded with experience !!
      November 8, 2010 at 2:38am ·
    • Laura Chartrand Congratulations on a very special first marathon!
      November 8, 2010 at 7:18am ·
    • Caleb Wilson awesome!
      November 8, 2010 at 8:32am ·
    • David Manthey As we light the path for others, in the process we also light the path for ourselves... Congrats Jennifer!
      November 8, 2010 at 9:18am · · 1 personLoading...
    • Jennifer Johnson Cline Thanks David !!!! electrolytes,electrolytes,electrolytes
      dont over dress, lol....lots of good advice
      November 8, 2010 at 9:20am · · 1 personLoading...
    • Mark Miller Wow!!!!!!! Great report and add to that, there is still hope for humanity. I am proud to be your friend. Leadville 2012!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATS again!
      November 8, 2010 at 9:33am · · 1 personLoading...
    • Lisa Smith-Batchen Thank you for sharing this beautiful story.made my day!
      November 8, 2010 at 11:15am ·
    • Jennifer Johnson Cline Thanks Lisa ! I can't wait to run another one. I've been thinking about it all day! Good thing I go back to work tomorrow, lol
      November 8, 2010 at 11:39am ·
    • William Snodgrass You are an amazing person Jennifer. You are not a RUNNER, you are a RUNNING MESSENGER! You are someone who loves the world around you, loves your family and loves the gift of life and wants to give that gift to everyone. Running is your vehicle, love and life is your message. Keep the mssage alive!
      November 8, 2010 at 4:07pm · · 1 personLoading...
    • Jennifer Johnson Cline Thanks Bill!!!!! I'm always gonna cherish my first 14er with you two!!!! I can't wait to climb another one!!!!
      November 8, 2010 at 4:25pm ·
    • Pavlos Diakoumakos
      My friend you are unique and honestly i got no words to say how precius human been you are and how happy iam that i met you and i been litle part of your andventure here in Athens,. It took time to write you aboat this couse i just want to ...be easy and quiet to write how i feel aboat that. Iam proud my friend for you and you got a friend here in Greece that always look frwrd to see you eating out of my shop again and share a sweet with you, Baclava, you have to taste it next time, always your soulmate at the other side of this planet. PavlosSee More
      November 13, 2010 at 3:04pm ·
    • Jennifer Johnson Cline Pavlos you have a friend for life ♥
      November 13, 2010 at 3:54pm ·
    • Chris Russell Well done. I've heard that is a very hard race.
      When's the next one?
      January 1 at 6:25pm ·
    • Jennifer Johnson Cline Soon
      January 1 at 6:32pm ·
    • Martha Wickman Montour Your note brought me to tears. It is so wonderful to read of your transformative experience and the way you helped others meet their own goals. Kouragio indeed!
      January 13 at 11:14am ·

No comments:

Post a Comment